An eight-year-old Arina Primary pupil died after a playground merry-go-round accident on Thursday, August 28 afternoon Teachers rushed her to Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Hospital, but doctors pronounced her dead within 30 minutes after the incident The head teacher reported the incident to Kisumu Central Police Station, and the body was taken to the mortuary Kisumu Central OCPD Peter Mulai confirmed the death, describing it as a heartbreaking loss for the community Didacus Malowa, a journalist at TUKO.co.ke, brings over three years of experience covering politics and current affairs in Kenya.
Grief engulfed Arina Primary School in Kisumu after an eight-year-old Grade 2 pupil died in a playground accident.
The girl was playing on a six-seater merry-go-round when she lost her balance and fell. (Photo used for illustration) Photo: Mehmet Kaman.
Source: Getty Images What happened at Arina Primary School? The incident occurred in the afternoon of Thursday, August 28, leaving teachers, pupils, and parents in shock.
According to a police report, the girl was playing with her classmates on a six-seater iron merry-go-round at around 3:45pm when she slipped and fell.
As she tried to regain balance, the moving structure struck her on the head, causing a severe injury.
Witnesses say the playground, usually filled with laughter, fell silent as the magnitude of the accident became clear.
Teachers on duty, Dorcas Momanyi and Paul Okumu, rushed to the scene immediately in an effort to help her out.
When did the Kisumu Grade 2 pupil die? Realising the gravity of the injury, they quickly took the child to Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital for urgent medical attention.
Despite efforts by doctors to stabilise her, the young girl was pronounced dead at around 4:10pm, barely half an hour after the accident.
The school’s head teacher, Millicent Obara, reported the tragedy to Kisumu Central Police Station.
Efforts to save the eight-year-old Grade 2 pupil were futile as she succumbed to his injuries. Photo: Cheng Graphics.
Source: Facebook Her body was later moved to the hospital mortuary for preservation as authorities initiated a postmortem process.
Kisumu Central OCPD Peter Mulai confirmed the death and said the girl’s parents had been informed.
“It’s a heartbreaking incident. No parent should have to endure the loss of a child in such circumstances,” Mulai stated, reflecting the sorrow that has now gripped the school community. Nairobi boy dies in school Shawn Victor Were died in school under unclear circumstances.
The Grade Five boy left home as usual in the morning, but was later reported to be unwell.
The school called the boy’s mother, Irene Kirimi, and informed her that her son was unwell and speaking incoherently.
When the mother arrived in school in the company of her husband, Moses Ochiueng, they found Victor lying on a mattress looking extremely weak.
He was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead after a brief examination.
The initial report indicated that the boy started convulsing, and one of the teachers gave him watermelon and rice, which reportedly choked him.
The school did not give a clear account of what exactly happened before the boy lost consciousness.
Victor’s mother said teachers initially denied ever giving the boy rice and watermelon until she informed them that the boy had vomited at the hospital, that one of them admitted to giving him food.
Tragic Mombasa trip for school-going sisters In another tragic incident, a family holiday in Nyali, Mombasa ended in tragedy on August 13, 2025, when two sisters drowned in a swimming pool at Assia Apartments shortly after arriving for their vacation.
The girls, 13-year-old Aisha Mohammed and her younger sister, aged 8 or 9, had been left in their mother’s care when their father stepped out to buy lunch.
Without supervision or lifeguard presence, they decided to swim and drowned.
Their mother immediately called the father, who rushed back, only to learn the girls had been taken to Gertrude’s Hospital and pronounced dead on arrival.
Police and safety officials later inspected the pool, noting the absence of safety measures, including depth indicators and trained lifeguards.
Residents and relatives condemned the negligence and urged authorities to enforce safety standards across coastal facilities to prevent similar tragedies.
Eyewitnesses reported frantic but unsuccessful efforts to save the children once they had gone under.
Masolo Mabonga, HOD Current and Politics, updated this article with details on the Nairobi boy who died in school under unclear circumstances.
Proofreading by Asher Omondi, copy editor at TUKO.co.ke.
Source: TUKO.co.ke
Source: Tuko.co.ke | Read Full Story…
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings