A new fire outbreak has again devastated the popular Singer Market in Kano, destroying warehouses and shops worth millions of naira and compounding losses suffered by traders in last week’s incident at the same commercial hub.
The mid-day inferno erupted on Saturday afternoon, sending thick black smoke across large parts of the metropolitan city and triggering panic among traders and residents who had only recently begun recovery efforts from the previous blaze.
The market — a major distribution centre for sugar, flour and bottled drinks across northern Nigeria — was quickly engulfed after flames reportedly started in one interconnected shop and spread rapidly through tightly packed structures filled with combustible goods.
“We just saw smoke coming from the roof. Before we could bring water, the wind pushed the fire to the next shop and everything got out of control,” said Malam Sani, a trader who managed to salvage only part of his merchandise.
Kebbi : Reopening of Tsamiya and Kamba borders, a stroke of economic diplomacy – Presidency
Officials of the Kano State Fire Service battled the fire for several hours but faced difficulty accessing the scene due to narrow passageways and dense rows of stalls. Security operatives from the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps were deployed to maintain order and prevent looting.
No fatalities had been confirmed as of press time, though several people reportedly suffered minor injuries and smoke inhalation while attempting to rescue goods.
Authorities say the economic impact may surpass that of last week’s fire, as multiple warehouses stocked with food items and household commodities were razed before firefighters gained control.
Preliminary indications suggest a possible electrical fault, but officials say a full investigation will commence after cooling operations are completed.
“Our priority is total damping to prevent hidden embers from reigniting. Traders should remain calm as assessment continues,” a fire service spokesperson said.
The Kano State Government is expected to visit the site to sympathise with victims and evaluate the scale of destruction — the second major setback for the market within weeks, raising renewed concerns about fire safety measures in major commercial centres across the state.
Source: Businessday.ng | Read the Full Story…





