New passport rules could see British children born abroad denied entry to the UK unless their parents fork out a fortune.
For the first time, dual citizens – including children and babies – will have to present a passport for flights, ferries or trains into Britain or pay for a ‘certificate of entitlement’ to the tune of £589.
The rules will come into force from as early as February 25, sparking backlash from Brits overseas who have been left blindsided by the change in border controls.
The Home Office’s new rules mean a British couple’s 10-month-old baby could be ‘turned back at the border’ when they depart for New Zealand in two weeks.
His grandmother told The Times: ‘We’ve sent off an application with all the documentation requested but have received a reply saying “you need to send his NZ passport as well”.
‘We’re not going to do that because then he certainly won’t be able to travel, with no passport at all.’
The family has tried to get through to the Home Office – but they ‘don’t have lines that deal with this’.
The grandmother added they have also been to the High Commission in New Zealand – but they were ‘told to go away’ because ‘they don’t deal with this’.
Rebecca Witham lives in France with her son, who only holds a French passport.
She fears the new rules could stop families visiting the UK, which she described as ‘discrimination’ that will ‘affect millions’ of British citizens with dual nationality.
Ms Witham added that the added cost of £589 per person means families can no longer visit the UK, where they are ‘legal citizens’.
James, a British-Italian who was born and educated in London, had booked a flight for a business trip to New York last week, departing Friday, but now fears he could be stranded because he returns after the new rules come into force.
He has never had a British passport but was previously able to travel freely for his job with an Italian one.
James told The Guardian: ‘I found myself having to travel at short notice and am now facing the idea that I may not be allowed back into the country.’
Asked if would pay the whopping £589 fee, he said the weeks-long backlog makes it impossible to get a certificate of entitlement before Friday.
A Home Office spokesperson said: ‘From 25 February 2026, all dual British citizens will need to present either a valid British passport or certificate of entitlement to avoid delays at the border.’
They said the move was part of a programme to introduce a ‘seamless travel experience’, adding that the rules will give the Government ‘greater power to stop those who pose a threat from setting foot in the country and gives us a fuller picture of immigration’.
It comes after Sir Jim Ratcliffe last week said the UK had been ‘colonised by immigrants’.
In an interview with Sky News, the billionaire Manchester United co-owner claimed the population of the UK had increased by 12million in six years, from 58million in 2020 to 70million today.
He was forced to apologise for his comments with the Prime Minister saying his comments were ‘offensive and wrong’.
Backtracking on his remarks, Sir Jim said he was ‘sorry that my choice of language has offended some people in the UK and Europe’.
Earlier this month it emerged that the total number of small boat migrants to have reached the UK under Sir Keir Starmer surpassed had 66,000.
More migrants have arrived during Starmer’s time in Downing Street than under any other prime minister, overtaking the previous high of 65,811 under Boris Johnson.
The record under Sir Keir has been reached in just over 19 months, compared with three years under Mr Johnson.
Source: Dailymail.co.uk | Read the Full Story…





