in

Passengers Feared Dead in Fresh Sokoto Boat accident

Passengers Feared Dead in Fresh Sokoto Boat accident

Two people are feared dead in a boat accident in Sokoto State, the third of such incident in August 2025.

The latest mishap occurred on Thursday evening in Lambara village, Shagari Local Government Area.

The incident occurred as villagers were returning from a weekly market in neighboring Yabo Local Government Area.

SPONSOR AD

According to a source at the Sokoto State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), the boat with 11 passengers on board capsized around 8pm.

“Nine people were rescued. Sadly, a 20-year-old man was confirmed dead, while an elderly woman remains missing,” the official said.

This incident follows two previous boat accidents earlier in the month in Goronyo and Sabon Birni Local Government Areas, which collectively claimed ten lives.

Local authorities are continuing search and rescue operation, while residents are calling for improved safety measures on waterways to prevent further tragedies.

Just six days earlier, four people lost their lives in a similar accident in the neighboring Goronyo Local Government Area.

Daily Trust gathered that the victims were among dozens of residents who had taken to the water in a desperate attempt to escape after spotting armed bandits advancing towards their temporary hideout.

A local source said the villagers had been sleeping in nearby bushes to avoid night-time attacks were returning home when the tragedy struck.

“Out of fear, many people no longer sleep in their homes. That morning, they were returning when the canoe capsized,” the source said.

Another resident revealed that panic broke out when the villagers saw the bandits approaching, prompting a hurried escape attempt across the water.

“They rushed into the canoe, but it could not carry them all and capsized midstream,” he explained.

Hon. Aminu Boza, a member of the Sokoto State House of Assembly representing Sabon Birni, confirmed the incident.

He noted that insecurity has forced many residents to abandon their homes.

“Some communities are now completely deserted. Most men spend the night in the bush and only return home in the morning,” Boza said.

He added that the state government had deployed Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) to Sabon Birni to support security efforts, which he acknowledged have led to some successes.

“Just two days ago, security personnel foiled an attack and arrested four suspected bandits. But the area still requires more security presence,” he stated.

The Sokoto State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) also confirmed the accident.

A senior official said 19 people were rescued from the water, while search and rescue operations were ongoing for the three still missing.

“In response, SEMA led a joint assessment visit with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), and the Red Cross to the affected community to confirm the casualties and engage with families of the victims,” the official said.

A comprehensive report on the incident is expected to be jointly released by NEMA, SEMA, and NIWA.

Editor’s note: This picture was used for illustrative purposes

Source: DailyTrust | Read Full Story…

What do you think?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

Fresh update about Yul Edochie, Judy Austin’s marriage emerges

Fresh update about Yul Edochie, Judy Austin’s marriage emerges

CAN to Uba Sani: We’re with you in prayers

CAN to Uba Sani: We’re with you in prayers