The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has expressed confidence that the South-East will overwhelmingly back President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election, projecting as much as 90 per cent of the vote in his favour.
Speaking on Saturday during an inspection of ongoing construction at the Alaoji axis of the Enugu–Port Harcourt Expressway, Umahi urged the region to pursue strategic political alignment rather than sentiment, noting that the presidency is “not yet our turn” and subtly cautioning supporters of former presidential candidate Peter Obi against expecting automatic regional backing.
Umahi argued that past claims of marginalization against the South-East have been largely addressed under President Tinubu’s administration.
“All the marginalization we complain about has been addressed by the president. Unless we are not being truthful to ourselves, there is no more marginalization in the South-East,” he said, pointing to the unprecedented appointment of a Minister of Works from the region as evidence of the president’s commitment.
Highlighting ongoing federal road projects across the zone, Umahi described the scale of investment as historic.
“When I was Deputy Governor, then Governor for eight years, not a single federal road project came to the state. But today, we can boast of numerous projects worth trillions of naira in the South-East, just like in other regions,” he said, noting that every section of the Enugu–Port Harcourt Expressway from Port Harcourt to Enugu is under construction.
The minister urged the people to support Tinubu in 2027, stressing strategic considerations over sentiment.
“We should not be guided by sentiments or non-strategic moves. We should tell our brother, Peter Obi, that it is not yet our turn,” he said, underscoring the need for calculated political alignment while encouraging voters to recognize the administration’s efforts in federal appointments and infrastructure development.
Umahi assured the contractor handling the project, Arab Contractors, of prompt release of funds to ensure timely completion ahead of the president’s planned tour of project sites in the South-East and South-South in May.
He disclosed that the Federal Government inherited 2,068 ongoing projects valued at N19 trillion when the current administration assumed office, a figure he said was before the removal of fuel subsidy and the depreciation of the naira.
“Even after prioritization, rephasing and rescoping, the total ongoing projects, excluding NNPC Limited-related, legacy, and private sector projects, still amount to N16.9 trillion,” he said, adding that the contractor had been migrated to Sukuk funding to ease payment challenges.
“Out of N8.3 billion allocated under Sukuk, N2 billion is pending release, while 30 per cent of the 2025 budget allocation would be paid, with the remaining 70 per cent migrated to the 2026 budget cycle”
The minister said the inspected section of the second carriageway towards Port Harcourt has completed major structural works and is now entering the finishing stage, including the combined and wearing course.
He assured that the road was designed to last 50 years and welcomed public scrutiny of the projects.
“All projects have been sent to the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission for evaluation, so transparency is ensured,” he added.
The inspection was also attended by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on the South-East, Chioma Nwaeze, and the project manager, Mah Moud, who, alongside Umahi, reviewed the progress and quality of work, underscoring the administration’s commitment to completing the highway on schedule and maintaining transparency in federal projects.
You Might Be Interested In
Source: Independent.ng | Read the Full Story…





